- Several bulbs of Florence fennel (the more the better!)
- 3oz flour, 3oz butter, 1/2 to 1 pint milk for bechamel
- 1-2 courgettes (thinly sliced) or a small squash
- 200g goat’s cheese, thinly sliced.
- 8-10 sheet’s lasagne (number of sheets depends on size and shape of your dish)
- Salt, pepper and nutmeg
- Make the bechamel sauce. Roux: 3oz flour fried in 3oz butter, then stir in milk bit by bit to creamy sauce consistency, add salt pepper and nutmeg.
- Sweat fennel in a bit of oil and add a small slosh of water or two if it starts to brown.
- If using squash instead of the courgettes, then steam or sweat a similar quantity of squash
- Simply layer into flat bottomed oven proofed dish. We did the following order (fennel, courgette, lasagne, bechamel, goat’s cheese, repeat till you run out) but as long as you finish at a bechamel-goat’s cheese layer to brown on top it doesn’t really matter. Season as you go to taste.
- Oven (180C) for about half an hour.
Enjoy with a little salad on the side!