This is the recipe of the elderflower fritters that we prepare at the Oak Tree Farm yearly wild food walk when the elderflowers are available.
Ingredients (Serves 6-8):
- 100g plain flour
- 200ml water
- A pinch of salt
- Vegetable oil, for deep frying
- A large bunch of unwashed elderflower heads
- Whisk together the water, salt and flour to make a light batter that coats the elderflowers, but drips off.
- Heat the oil until very hot.
- Using the stem as a handle, dip the flower heads in batter, and let the excess batter drip back into the bowl.
- Deep fry until golden brown, then place on clean kitchen paper.
- Sprinkle with icing sugar.
- Eat everything except the unbattered stems, which you can compost.