A low-fat, vegetarian recipe reminds us that pastry doesn’t have to be an indulgence
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 40 mins
Serves 4 easily
- 500g leeks, thinly sliced
- 150ml low-sodium vegetable stock
- 175g chestnut mushroom, sliced
- 4 large sheets filo pastry
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 85g soft-rinded goat’s cheese or vegetarian alternative
- 1 tsp poppy seeds
- Heat oven to 200C. Put the leeks and stock into a large pan, then cover and cook for 5-8 mins until starting to soften. Add the mushrooms, cover again and cook for 3 mins, then remove the lid & continue to cook until the juices have evaporated. Tip the veg onto a large plate to cool slightly.
- For each strudel, lightly brush half of each filo sheet with some olive oil. Fold the un-brushed side over to make a smaller sheet, 2 layers thick. Brush the edges with a little more oil, then spoon a quarter of the veg along one edge. Crumble over a quarter of the cheese, fold over the pastry edges, then roll up to seal in the filling.
- Put the strudels on a baking tray, brush with any remaining oil and scatter over the poppy seeds. Bake for 25 mins until crisp and golden brown.