This warming dish is perfect for a weekend get-together
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 1 hr, 25 mins
Easily serves 6
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 500g pumpkin, deseeded, peeled and diced
- 500g parsnip, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 x 425g cans mixed beans, drained
- 780g can tomatoes
- 225ml red wine
- 300ml vegetable stock
- 2 large sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 75g fresh breadcrumb
- 25g vegetarian parmesan-style cheese, grated
- Heat oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4.
- Heat the oil in a large pan or wok, add onions, then fry for 5 mins until golden.
- Add pumpkin, parsnips and garlic and cook for a further 3 mins.
- Stir in beans, tomatoes, wine, stock, thyme, sugar and plenty of seasoning. Bring to the boil, then transfer to a large casserole dish, pressing the beans and vegetables beneath the liquid.
- Sprinkle the top with breadcrumbs and grated cheese.
- Cover, then cook for 40 mins.
- Uncover, stir well and cook for a further 40 mins. Serve with garlic bread and stir-fried cabbage