Soften shallots before stir-frying (see below) with cabbage and fennel seeds for a low fat, healthy side dish – perfect with a hearty roast dinner
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 30 mins
- 300g pack small shallots
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 tsp fennel seeds, lightly crushed
- 1 Savoy cabbage (outer leaves discarded) quartered, cored and shredded
- 150ml hot vegetable stock
- Boil the shallots in their skins for 10-15 mins until they are soft but still hold their shape. Leave to cool then slip the skins from the shallots and halve them. Can be prepared a couple of days in advance, then chilled.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick wok, and stir-fry the garlic, fennel seeds and shallots for a couple of mins until the shallots are golden. Remove from the pan.
- Add the cabbage to the pan and stir-fry until it starts to wilt a little, then pour in the stock, cover the wok and cook for 3 mins until just tender. Test to see if the cabbage is done to your liking; if not, cook a little longer, then add the shallot mixture, heat through and serve.