For shepherd’s pie – but not as you know it – try cooking up these spicy individual pies
Prep: 30 mins cook: 1 hr
Easy serves 6
For the meat and sauce
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- small knob of ginger, peeled and granted
- 2 tbsp medium curry powder
- 500g minced beef or lamb
- 400g can chopped tomato
- 100g frozen peas
For the topping
- 600g parsnip, peeled and chopped into large chunks
- large potato, peeled and chopped into large chunks
- 1 green chilli, deseeded and chopped
- large bunch coriander, chopped
- 2 tsp turmeric
- juice of 1 lemon
- 50g butter
- For the sauce, heat the oil in a pan and add the onion. Cook until soft, add the garlic, ginger and curry powder, then cook until aromatic.
- Turn up the heat, add the mince, fry until browned, then add the tomatoes and simmer for 20 mins until thickened. A few mins before the end, add the peas.
- Meanwhile, tip the parsnips and potatoes into a pan of cold water, bring to the boil, then cook for 10 mins. Drain, season and mash with the rest of the ingredients.
- Heat oven to 220C/fan 200C/gas 8.
- Assemble the pies in individual dishes (or one large one) by placing some meat sauce on the bottom and topping with mash. Ruffle up the tops with a fork, then bake for 20 mins until golden and bubbling.