A tasty way of using lots of cabbage.
- 3 tablespoons Oil
- 2 bay leaves
- ¾ teaspoon whole cumin seeds
- 700g cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon chilli powder
- 1½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 tomatoes, chopped (I end up using ketchup as our tomatoes are only available in the non-cabbage season)
- ¾ teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 100g peas
- Heat the oil in a karai (I use a wok) over a medium high heat and add the bay leaves and the cumin seeds. Let them sizzle for a few seconds.
- Add the cabbage and stir for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the turmeric, chilli, cumin, coriander, tomatoes, salt and sugar and mix with the cabbage.
- Lower heat, cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add the peas and cover again. Continue to cook for a further 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the cover, turn up to medium heat and, stirring continuously, cook until it is dry
The key final step for me is to eat it with Lime Pickle and Brinjal (Aubergine) Pickle.
Also works pretty well with rice.