“I have been looking at a variety of yeast-free, gluten breads and came accross this recipe in “The Complete Coconut cookbook“. I have shared it with friends and family and it has proven very popular. Many have asked me for the recipe, so here it is. Note that I have adapted it slightly based on taste.”
Ingredients (Serves 10 to 12 slices):
- 2 tbsp psyllium husk
- 1 cup coconut milk – Note that I have also made this bread with 1 cup almond milk and it was really good too.
- 1/3 cup water (or coconut water) – I only use water.
- 2/3 cup chickpea flour
- 1/3 cup patato starch
- 2,5 tsp baking powder (gluten free if you need to)
- 1 tsp ground cardamom.
- 0.25 tsp salt
- 0.5 cup coconut sugar
- 1,5 cups shredded carrots
- Oil (coconut, butter etc) to grease the loaf pan.
- optional: 1/3 cup raisins
- Optional: 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degres Celsius.
- Mix wet ingredients: Mix together pysllium husk, milk (coconut/almond etc) and water (or coconut water if using). Let stand for 5 minutes, it will thicken.
- Mix dry ingredients: Mix together the chickpea flour, coconut flour, potato starch, baking powder, cardamom and salt.
- When the milk/psyllium mixture has thickened, add the coconut sugar and vanilla (if using) and stir well.
- Mix together the wet and dry mixtures above into a batter.
- Add the grated carrots and raisins (if using) to the batter and fold gently.
- Grease a metal loaf pan with oil (coconut, butter etc). Spread the batter in the pan.
- Bake in the oven for 50 minutes to an hour, or until it is browned and cooked inside.
- Remove from pan and let the bread cool on a wire rack.