Stuffed acorn squash with cranberry, pecans and quinoa then drizzled with a simple goat cheese crema. Perfect as a vegetarian meal or side dish
Total prep and cooking time: 1 hour 20 mins
Serves 4, 1 squash half each
For the acorn squash:
- 2 medium acorn squash, cut in half and seeds removed
- 4 teaspoons virgin melted coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
For the quinoa:
- ½ cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 ¼ cups water
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon virgin coconut oil
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup pecan halves
- For the goat cheese crema:
- 2 ounces goat cheese crumbles
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2-3 tablespoons water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add 1 teaspoon of coconut oil and 1/2 tablespoon brown sugar to each squash half; use your hands to rub into the flesh of the squash, even on the top (but not on the skin). Sprinkle each squash half with a little bit of cinnamon.
- Place flesh side down on baking sheet and roast in the oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until squash is just fork tender.
- While the squash roasts, you can make the quinoa.
- Add quinoa, water and thyme leaves to a large pot and place over medium high heat.
- Bring to a boil, then cover, reduce heat to low and cook for exactly 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, remove from heat and fluff quinoa with a fork.
- Next stir in coconut oil, orange juice, honey and turmeric and stir to combine.
- Fold in dried cranberries and pecans.
- Once acorn squash is done roasting, evenly stuff each squash with quinoa. Bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- While the squash is baking again, make the goat cheese drizzle: Add goat cheese, honey, apple cider vinegar and water to a blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Drizzle evenly over each squash half.
If you want to save time, you can make the squash and quinoa a day ahead of time. Once ready to serve, simply reheat in oven at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until warm and then make goat cheese crema and drizzle on top.