These crispy hash browns can be made ahead and reheated from frozen – ideal for unexpected Christmas visitors
Ready in 25-35 minutes
Easily serves 6
- 450g waxy potato (such as Charlotte)
- 350g parsnip or other root veg
- 1 small onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- 4-5 tbsp sunflower oil
- To serve
- 6 rashers of streaky bacon or slices of prosciutto
- 6 stems of cherry tomatoes on the vine
- 6 eggs
- Peel and coarsely grate the potatoes and parsnips – if you’re using a food processor, attach the medium grater. Squeeze out as much liquid as possible with your hands and put them in a bowl.
- Stir in the onion, garlic, egg and season if you like. Divide the mixture into six and roughly shape into flat cakes. Heat 2 tbsp of the oil in a large non-stick frying pan and fry three of the cakes on a low heat for 4-5 mins on each side until golden and tender. Transfer to kitchen paper with a slotted spoon and leave to cool while frying the remainder, adding remaining oil as necessary. Meanwhile grill the bacon and tomatoes, poach the eggs and serve alongside.