Reawaken childhood memories of summer holidays with Sara Buenfeld’s eat-by-the-sea favourite, the humble pasty
Prep: 25 mins
Cook: 55 mins plus chilling
For the pastry:
For the filling:
- 350g beef skirt or chuck steak, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled, thinly sliced
- 175g swede, peeled, finely diced
- 1 tbsp freshly ground black pepper
- Rub the butter and lard into the flour with a pinch of salt using your fingertips or a food processor, then blend in 6 tbsp cold water to make a firm dough. Cut equally into 4, then chill for 20 mins.
- Heat oven to 220C/fan 200C/gas 7.
- Mix together the filling ingredients with 1 tsp salt.
- Roll out each piece of dough on a lightly floured surface until large enough to make a round about 23cm across – use a plate to trim it to shape.
- Firmly pack a quarter of the filling along the centre of each round, leaving a margin at each end. Brush the pastry all the way round the edge with beaten egg, carefully draw up both sides so that they meet at the top, then pinch them together to seal. Lift onto a non-stick baking tray and brush with the remaining egg to glaze.
- Bake for 10 mins, then lower the oven temperature to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4 and cook for 45 mins more until golden.
- Great served warm.