Acorn Squash-and-Pear Purée with Glazed Almonds
This sophisticated purée marries the citrusy flavor of Anjou pears with earthy, roasted acorn squash. Ground ginger provides an exotic twist, while toasted almonds deliver crunch.
Total Prep and Cooking Time: 1 hour 20 mins
- 3 medium acorn squash
- 2 oz. Sliced almonds
- 6 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 3/4 tsp. chopped fresh sage
- 3 Anjou pears
- 3/4 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp. allspice
- 3 tbsp. heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place squash, cut side down, in a baking dish. Add 3/4 cup water. Roast squash until fork-tender, about 1 hour.
- When cool enough to touch, scoop flesh with a large spoon into a medium bowl and set aside; discard shells.
- In a small pan over medium-high heat, cook almonds, 1 tablespoon butter, and sugar, stirring often, until almonds are toasted and glazed, 5 to 6 minutes. Stir in sage. Transfer almonds to a plate and season with salt. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine 1/3 cup water, pears, 1 1/8 teaspoons salt, ginger, and allspice and simmer until pears are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Add reserved squash. Stir with a wooden spoon, mashing any large pieces.
- Stir in heavy cream and remaining butter.
- Transfer mixture to food processor (or use an immersion blender directly in saucepan) and lightly purée. Season with more salt, if desired. Transfer to a serving dish and sprinkle with reserved almonds.