Braised Chestnuts, Apples & Brussels Sprouts
Spruce up your sprouts with pan-fried apples and sweet, melting chestnuts to give this classic Christmas side dish a delicious French twist
Prep: 30 mins
Cook: 35 mins
Easily serves 6
- 50g unsalted butter
- 400g raw peeled chestnuts (or frozen raw peeled chestnuts, defrosted)
- 1 celery stick, cut into 1cm/½ in slices
- 1 Braeburn apple (about 100g/4oz), skin on, cored and cut into 8 segments
- 100ml water (or light chicken stock)
- 2 tsp golden caster sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 400g Brussels sprouts
- Heat the butter in a medium saucepan on a low heat.
- Add the chestnuts, celery and apple, and cook gently for 4 mins.
- Pour in the stock, bring to the boil and season with 1 tsp fine sea salt, 2 pinches freshly ground white pepper, the sugar and lemon juice. Cover and cook on a low heat (so that the bubbles are just breaking the surface) for 20-25 mins until soft and melting.
Meanwhile, blanch the sprouts in boiling salted water for 6 mins, then drain well.
- Add the sprouts to the chestnut pan, sizzle for 5 mins, then tip into a serving dish.