Broccoli and Gorgonzola Quiche
For the pastry:
125g plain flour
75g wholemeal flour
100g unsalted butter in cubes
pinch of salt
2 tbsp water
(You can also use ready-made pastry.)
For the filling:
150−200g broccoli florets
100ml full fat milk
150ml single cream
3 large eggs
150g gorgonzola cheese
50g walnuts, roughly chopped
salt and black pepper to taste
1. Combine the flours in a large bowl, then rub in the butter. Stir in the salt, followed by the water, until the flour starts to come together. Press the pastry into a ball, wrap in cling film and chill for at least 30 minutes.
2. Once chilled, roll out the pastry into a circle large enough to line the base and sides of a flan tin or dish (23 to 27cm). The pastry contains wholemeal flour, so it’s quite crumbly. Roll it out on a sheet of lightly floured baking parchment and use offcuts to patch up any holes or cracks. Leave the lined tin to rest in the fridge for 30 minutes, or for 15 minutes in the freezer, and pre-heat the oven to 200°C / fan 180°C / gas mark 6.
3. Bake the chilled pastry case blind, by lining it with baking paper and filling with baking beans or dried pulses and baking for 15 minutes. Remove the baking paper and beans and cook for a further 5 minutes until firm. (If using ready-made pastry, also bake blind.)
4. Make the filling while the pastry is in the oven. Boil or steam the broccoli florets for a few minutes, so they are not raw but are still firm. Drain and leave to cool slightly.
5. Whisk together the milk, cream and eggs, then crumble in the gorgonzola and the walnuts. Season well.
6. Cut any large pieces of broccoli into smaller chunks and arrange over the base of the cooked pastry case. Pour over the filling liquid.
7. Reduce the oven temperature to 180°C / fan 160°C / gas mark 4 and bake for around 30 minutes, or until just set.
8. Leave the quiche to cool for at least 15 minutes in its tin and on a wire rack.
9. Delicious served with a peppery green salad or a red cabbage and apple salad (see recipe).
Recipe from Ruby Tandoh’s Crumb: The Baking Book