Butternut Squash Casserole
A warming seasonal dish with a fusion of flavours, perfect for winter evenings
Prep: 20 mins cook: 40 mins
Easily serves 4
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 225g sweet potato, cubed
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 1 butternut squash (about 550g/1lb 4oz), peeled and chopped
- 400g can chopped tomato
- 200ml red wine
- 300ml vegetable stock
- 75g bulgur wheat
- 4 spoonfuls Greek yogurt
- a little grated vegetarian cheddarcheese
- In a large pan, heat the olive oil, then cook onion and garlic for 5-7 mins until the onion is softened.
- Add the cumin seeds and paprika, then cook for a further 2 mins.
- Stir in the sweet potato, red pepper and butternut squash and toss with the onion and spices for 2 mins.
- Pour in the tomatoes, red wine and vegetable stock, season, then simmer gently for 15 mins.
- Stir in the bulgur wheat, cover with a lid, then simmer for 15 mins more until the vegetables are tender, the bulgur wheat is cooked and the liquid has been absorbed.
Serve in bowls topped with a spoonful of Greek-style yogurt and some grated vegetarian cheddar