Halloumi, Spiced Chickpea, Kohlrabi & Spinach Salad
A warming winter salad of soft chickpeas, crunchy kohlrabi batons and crisp apple, flavoured with the earthy spiciness of turmeric and sweet-sharp zing of blood orange, with savoury nuggets of halloumi and tender spinach leaves folded through
Prep time: 25 mins
Serves 2 people
- 1 kohlrabi
- 1 apple
- 1 red onion
- 400g tin of chickpeas
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 150g halloumi
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 blood orange
- 50g baby leaf spinach
- Scrub the kohlrabi and trim off the top and base (you don’t need to peel it, although you can if preferred). Slice the kohlrabi into matchsticks.
- Quarter the apple and slice out the core. Dice the apple.
- Peel the onion and thinly slice it.
- Set all 3 aside, keeping them separate.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas.
- Slice the halloumi into cubes.
- Pour 1 tbsp oil into a large pan and bring to a medium temperature.
- Slide in the onion and fry for 3-4 mins, till slightly softened.
- Spoon in 1 tsp turmeric and sprinkle in a good pinch of salt and pepper. Fry for a further 1 min.
- Shake the chickpeas dry and toss them into the pan with the onion.
- Finely grate in the orange zest. Warm through for 3-4 mins, stirring occasionally. Tip into a large bowl.
- Stir the chopped apple and kohlrabi into the bowl and set aside.
- Give the pan used to cook the chickpeas a quick wipe and return it to a medium-high heat. Pour in 1 tbsp oil and add the halloumi. Fry for 3-4 mins, turning once or twice, till golden on all sides. Tip the halloumi into the salad bowl.
- Fold the spinach leaves through the salad, and squeeze in the juice from the blood orange.
- Have a taste and add more salt and pepper if you think it needs it, then pile onto warm plates and serve.