Indian Oven Chips
Spice up potato wedges with turmeric, ginger, garlic and fennel seeds for an Indian-inspired side dish – perfect to share with friends
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 55 mins plus overnight chilling
Serves 6 – 8
- 1kg floury potatoes such as Maris Piper, peeled and cut into chunky chips
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 3 tbsp sunflower oil
- thumb-sized piece of ginger, peeled and chopped, or finely grated into a paste
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped, or finely grated into a paste
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- generous pinch of cayenne pepper
- The day before you plan to eat them, tip the potatoes into a pan of cold water and add the turmeric and pinch of salt. Bring to the boil, and simmer gently for 2-3 mins until just cooked. Drain, leave to cool, then chill overnight if you can.
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6.
- Drizzle 1 tbsp of the oil in a shallow roasting tin (preferably non-stick), and place in the oven.
- Pour the rest of the oil into a large bowl and add the ginger, garlic, fennel seeds and cayenne pepper.
- Tip the cold chips into the bowl and gently toss with your fingers until evenly coated.
- Remove the tray from the oven and scatter over the chips. Use a spatula to coat the chips in the hot oil, then lay them out in a single layer and roast for 30 mins. Use the spatula to turn, then return to the oven for 15 mins until crisp and golden.