Pickled Red Cabbage
450g finely shredded red cabbage
3 tbsp caster sugar
1 tbsp salt (plus a quarter teaspoon extra for softening the red cabbage)
1 tsp whole allspice berries
half tsp black peppercorns
5 bay leaves
150ml white wine vinegar
You will need a good-sized Kilner jar or similar. (The one in the photo is about 10cm wide and 15cm tall and takes all of the mixture.) You can also use several smaller jars.
1. Put the cabbage in a large bowl with a with a quarter teaspoon of salt. Mix well and leave to soften, stirring occasionally, for at least 4 hours at room temperature.
2. Put the allspice berries, peppercorns and bay leaves at the bottom of the empty jar.
3. Pack the jar with the cabbage, pressing it down as you go.
4. Put the vinegar, sugar and salt into a saucepan, and gently warm, stirring until all the sugar and salt has dissolved. Turn off the heat as soon as it has dissolved, and add the water.
5. Allow the mixture to cool at room temperature before pouring it into the jar. Make sure the liquid covers the cabbage.
6. Put the lid on the jar and leave in a well-lit spot for three days, then put it in the fridge or in a cool, dark place.
The cabbage keeps well in a fridge for several months, provided the cabbage is covered with liquid at all times.