Roasted Acorn Squash Salad with Creamy Balsamic Reduction
Prep time 10 mins
Cook time 35 mins
This Roasted Acorn Squash Salad with Creamy Balsamic Reduction has become a festive go-to for me. It is hearty, a bit sweet, colorful + so flavourful!
- 1 medium acorn squash
- 1 Tbsp avocado oil (or sub melted coconut oil)
- 1 tsp salt
- pinch black pepper
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. avocado oil (or sub melted coconut oil)
- ½ medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp. almond flour
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 large bundle kale, steamed and chopped
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. toasted walnuts, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. dried cranberries
How to Prepare Acorn Squash
- Cut each acorn squash in half lengthwise.
- Scoop out seeds and guts and cut into wedges.
For the squash:
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and arrange squash wedges across it.
- Drizzle with avocado oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Roast for 20 minutes, or until squash is dark golden and tender.
For the dressing:
- While the squash roasts, pour balsamic vinegar into a small saucepan. Bring to a low boil. Simmer for about 10 minutes, or until dressing is reduced by about half and appears thick + sticky. Be careful not to burn.
- Pour into small bowl and set aside until ready to serve.
For the crispy onion:
- In a small bowl, toss the onion with almond flour, and salt. Heat a medium-sized skillet over medium heat and melt oil. Once hot, pour in the onion mixture and fry for about 5 minutes, or until onions are golden and crisp.
- Remove from heat and set aside until ready to serve.
- Add the kale to a large serving bowl and drizzle with lemon juice. Using your hands, massage the kale until it is wilted and dark.
- Top with roasted squash, crispy onion, walnut, and dried cranberries. Leave the dressing separate and drizzle on individual portions.
- Salad is best enjoyed day-of, but will keep refrigerated in airtight container for up to 3 days.