Roasted Acorn Squash with Cranberry Walnut Quinoa Stuffing
Total Prep and Cooking Time: 50 mins
- 3 medium acorn squash
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup white Quinoa
- 1/2 cup red Quinoa
- 2 cups Vegetable stock
- 1/2 Sweet Onion chopped
- 1/2 Red Pepper chopped
- 2 cloves minced Garlic
- 8oz Mushrooms chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped Walnuts
- 3/4 cup dried Cranberries
- 2 Tbsp ground Sage
- 1 Tbsp dried Thyme
- Pinch of Red Pepper Flakes
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Trim off each end of the squash.
- Stand the squash upright and halve lengthwise.
- Scoop out the pulp and the seeds and discard.
- Brush each squash half with 1 Tbsp olive oil, and then sprinkle with sea salt and black pepper.
- Arrange cut sides down on a parchment paper covered baking sheet.
- Roast the squash until the flesh is tender and the edges are golden brown, approximately 25-35 minutes.
- While the squash roasts:
- In medium saucepan add Quinoa and Vegetable stock.
- Bring to boil then cover and reduce heat to low, cooking for 15-20 minutes.
- While the Quinoa is cooking prepare the rest:
- In large saute pan over medium heat add 2 Tbsp Olive Oil, Onion, Red Pepper, and Garlic.
- Saute for 5-8 minutes until softened.
- Add Mushrooms, Sage, Thyme, Red Pepper Flakes, Salt, and Pepper.
- Saute 5 minutes longer until mushrooms are softened. Remove from heat.
- Add in Quinoa, Walnuts, and Cranberries.
- Remove cooked squash from oven and flip over so cut side is up.
Fill the roasted squash halves with the mushroom mixture and bake again for another 10 minutes