Sausage & Maple Swede Traybake
Forget boring bangers and mash, this seasonal traybake with roasted red onions, apples and swede is much more colourful, and just as easy to prepare
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 45 mins – 1 hr
Easily serves 4
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- ½ small pack thyme, leaves picked
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1 large swede(about 900g/2lb), peeled and cut into 3cm/1¼in chunks
- 2 red onions, cut into wedges
- 8 pork sausages (veggie or vegan sausages could be used instead)
- 3 sharp eating apples, such as Granny Smith or Pink Lady, cut into wedges and cored
- cooked broccoli, to serve
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6.
- Mix the oil, maple syrup, thyme, cumin and red wine vinegar together with seasoning.
- Toss the swede and onions in the maple mix, then spread out in a large roasting tin and roast in the oven for 15 mins.
- Add the sausages and apple wedges, and cook for 30-45 mins more, stirring halfway through, until the vegetables are soft and caramelised, and the sausages are cooked through.
- Serve with broccoli.