Spiced Swede Fritters
The mild flavour of swede is great for vibrant spices, so this twist on Indian vegetable pakoras really works
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 35 mins
Easily serves 4 as a starter, makes 15
- 1 swede(about 650g), peeled and diced into small chunks
- 75g plain flour
- 100ml crème fraîche
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp crushed coriander seed
- small handful coriander, chopped
- sunflower oil, for frying
- mango chutney, to serve
- Cook the swede in a pan of boiling water for 15 mins until tender, then drain well.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, crème fraîche and egg to make a smooth, thick batter.
- Stir in the chilli, onion, spices and coriander, then season generously.
- Very roughly mash the swede and stir into the mixture.
- Heat a splash of the oil in a large non-stick pan and cook small, flattened spoonfuls of the mixture for 2 mins on each side until crisp and browned.
- Serve hot with chutney.