Spicy Root & Lentil Casserole
The potatoes in this recipe take on the spicy flavours beautifully – the perfect veggie supper
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 35 mins
Easily serves 4
- 2 tbsp sunflower or vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic clove, crushed
- 700g potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 4 carrot, thickly sliced
- 2 parsnip, thickly sliced
- 2 tbsp curry paste or powder
- 1 litre/1¾ pints vegetable stock
- 100g red lentils
- a small bunch of fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- low-fat yogurt and naan bread, to serve
- Heat the oil in a large pan and cook the onion and garlic over a medium heat for 3-4 minutes until softened, stirring occasionally.
- Tip in the potatoes, carrots and parsnips, turn up the heat and cook for 6-7 minutes, stirring, until the vegetables are golden.
- Stir in the curry paste or powder, pour in the stock and then bring to the boil. Reduce the heat, add the lentils, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes until the lentils and vegetables are tender and the sauce has thickened.
- Stir in most of the coriander, season and heat for a minute or so.
- Top with yogurt and the rest of the coriander. Serve with naan bread.