Swiss Chard & Kohlrabi with Lemon Sauce
Gordon Ramsay combines these two under-used vegetables to create a wonderful steamed side dish
Ready in 30 mins
Serves 4 – 6
- 1 bunch Swiss chard(about 500g)
- 1 lemon, grated zest and squeezed juice
- 1 kohlrabi, peeled and halved
- 300ml vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 100ml olive oil
- large sprigs fresh rosemary, tarragon, coriander and parsley
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- Cut the white chard stems from green leaves in a V shape, slice diagonally into 5mm strips. Slit the leaves in half, roll 3-4 at a time like a cigar, thinly slice. Put in a bowl and scatter with a little lemon zest.
- Thinly slice kohlrabi and sprinkle with zest also.
- Boil the stock and lemon juice to reduce by half. Pour in a jug and mix in the chopped parsley. Cool, whisk in most of the oil.
- Put the rosemary, tarragon and coriander into a steaming pan with the garlic. Cover with water and bring to the boil. Fit basket on top. Sprinkle base with salt and pepper and lay in the kohlrabi. Scatter over white chard and season again. Top with the sprigs of parsley. Drizzle with oil, cover and steam, 5 mins. Remove parsley and scatter over the green chard, lifting up the white vegetables lightly with a large fork. Cover and steam for 3-4 more mins.
- Remove to a serving dish and pour over some sauce to serve. This tastes wonderful with grilled salmon or a chicken breast.