Vegetable Stew with Herby Dumplings
The pearl barley makes this stew really hearty – perfect for a cold winter evening
Prep: 40 mins
Cook: 1 hr, 30 mins
Easily serves 6
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 350g shallot, peeled
- 2 leeks, thickly sliced
- ½ swede, chopped into chunks
- 2 parsnips, quartered
- 350g Chantenay carrot
- 175g pearl barley
- 225ml white wine
- 1l vegetable stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 sprigs thyme
- small bunch parsley, finely chopped
For the dumplings
- 100g self-raising flour
- 50g unsalted butter
- 50g mature cheddarcheese, grated
- 2 tsp finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- Heat oil in a large casserole dish.
- Add shallots and cook for 5-6 mins until starting to soften and brown.
- Add leeks for 2 mins, then stir in swede, parsnips and carrots.
- Pour in barley and wine, cook until wine has reduced by half.
- Add stock, bay, thyme, parsley and seasoning.
- Cover pan, bring to the boil, then simmer for 45 mins until barley and veg are tender.
- Stir occasionally to stop it catching.
- Meanwhile, make the dumplings.
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6.
- Rub flour and butter together to form breadcrumbs.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Sprinkle over 2 tbsp water, mix to form a soft dough.
- Divide into six and roll into balls.
- Dot on top of stew and transfer to oven.
- Cook, uncovered, for 20-25 mins until dumplings are golden.