Vegetarian Nettle Soup
This is the recipe of the popular nettle soup that we prepare at the Oak Tree Farm yearly wild food walk.
Ingredients (Serves 4):
- 1 onion, chopped
- vegetable oil, for frying
- 500ml water
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and black pepper
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 large handfuls of stinging nettle tips and young leaves
- Sour cream, to serve
- Fry the chopped onion for 5-10 minutes in the oil or fat in a saucepan.
- Add the water, bay leaf, seasoning and potatoes, then cook for another few minutes.
- Wash your nettles carefully in fresh water and add them to the pan, stirring, then simmer for 5 minutes, and season.
- Remove the bay leaf then liquidise the soup with a small handheld blender. Add water if it looks too thick.
- Return to the heat for a couple of minutes, adding further salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the sour cream once it has been taken off the heat, mix well and serve.